Friday, June 10, 2011

The Gelato Edition

I realize looking back that I have referred to eating gelato a great deal over the past few weeks.  Gelato and I have had a beautiful time together this summer - thanks to the luscious and creamy Italian dessert, I have been kept consistently happy and satisfied for the entire month of June.  Yes, having the wonderful opportunity to live and study in a culture and history-rich European city has been satisfying as well ... but let's be honest, the gelato takes the cake (or should I say ice-cream cake?) for "best soul healing."


My initial approach to gelato-eating was fairly unrefined: (1) walk around for hours, (2) become really really hungry, (3) see gelateria, (4) buy two scoops of the most chocolatey/nutty flavor available.  While this was a perfectly adequate way to enjoy Italian ice cream, I knew I could achieve even more greatness, with just a little effort.

I researched.  I looked up the "best gelaterias in Venice," unique flavors to look out for, the difference between artisan and simply frozen gelatos ... I also made an effort to choose gelato by considering important factors:  (a) Did the color of the gelato look good with my outfit?  (b) Were the weather and circumstances appropriate for the flavor I was choosing?  (c) Was I actually hungry?


My efforts paid off, and I found a few incredible gelaterias in Venice, as well as some to-die-for flavors that I will never forget.  My family is constantly amazed by my incredible ability to remember exactly what I ate at practically every moment in my life - but my memory of the gelato I've enjoyed here in Venice is not amazing, it is to be expected.  This stuff is divine/nectar of the Gods.

Best Gelato Memories thus far:
* Finding Gelato Squero in Dorsoduro ... you'd never guess by looking at the exterior, but this gelato is some of the best in Venice.  Simple choices, but bursting with so much flavor.  I had pompelmo (grapefruit) and melone ... delicious!


* GROM!  This is a "high-end" gelato shop, that also serves coffee drinks.  I believe they've also opened a few locations in New York City.  I had nocciola (hazelnut) and extradark cioccolato - the extradark chocolate was insanely good, and had tiny shavings and chips of chocolate pieces in it.  A small serving with an enormous taste.

*Anguria (watermelon) and mojito gelato on Lido ... Two separate days, glorious sun and hot, dry weather, the beach, and incredible icy and creamy fruity delicious refreshing flavors.


*Also on Lido, fig and walnut gelato.  This is the kind of flavor combination I had been searching for, and it was perfection in a cup.

*And right when I thought I couldn't discover anything better than what I've described above, I tried Limone con Basilico gelato in Castello.  The combination of sweet, sour, and herb was one of the most deliciously refreshing and satisfying things I've ever eaten.  (Pictured below, hiding beneath the also-yummy amareno (cherry) gelato.)


I'm proud of myself for trying new flavors - usually, I see Nutella or Bacio-flavored gelato and I automatically gravitate towards it.  But experiencing new kinds has really broadened my horizons!  Let me know in the comments if there's a flavor I should keep my eyes open for this week, before I leave Italy next Thursday. xx Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment