Saturday, May 28, 2011

Vagare per Venezia


Yesterday afternoon, as planned, I walked south of my apartment and school, across the Ponte dell'Accademia, and into the Dorsoduro district of the city.  My first stop was the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (more on this later - my experience there was enough to fill an entire post), where I absorbed the incredible beauty of Picassos, Kandinskys, Pollocks, and more at Peggy Guggenheim's Italian villa-turned-gallery.  For now, I will just say that it would be my utmost desire to one day befriend contemporary artists, acquire their works, and then bequeath my collection to the future generations of art lovers.  What a beautiful hidden gem in Venice.


I continued my wanderings east, and stopped at Santa Maria della Salute, the Italian "cathedral of health."  This Roman Catholic church is gorgeously constructed, and features one of the classic "duomos" seen all over the country.  It is located at the very tip of Dorsoduro, and the view from there is a wonderful panorama of San Marco and the islands of San Giorgio Maggiore and Giudecca.





I walked south around the point of Dorsoduro, and continued west along the canal for before heading back up through the neighborhood's many winding streets filled with picturesque cafes, art galleries, and boutiques.  I then walked up through the quiet Santa Croce neighborhood, and back along the Grand Canal until I reached Accademia again.  When I arrived home, I had been gone for about four hours - the time passes quickly when wandering without a map or time constraints, and it is a beautiful experience to get lost in this city.  A link to a photo album from my walk yesterday is to the right - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment